Friday, December 31, 2010

Los Años Viejos

This is a Hispanic tradition of burning dolls at midnight to burn away all the bad things that happened in the past year.
My family has altered it a bit, burning small paper dolls we make and writing all of our regrets, things that made us sad this year, etc.
As I wrote on my doll, I thought of the obvious: Getting pregnant at 15. But as I started writing things, more and more came out until my doll was completely filled up.
Sometimes, you don't even realize all the mistakes and things you've done that you regret until you really take some time to think about it.
I regret;
Not following through. Criticizing myself for my weight, my looks - when I really don't need to. Being jealous. Not working hard enough on my grades. Not believing in myself. Dishing things that I can't take. Lies. Death. All those shoulda-coulda-wouldas. Over-thinking things. Not trusting people I should trust. Chances missed, and forgotten promises. The end to our football season. Saying things to him that I know aren't true. Losing faith and not trusting fully in God when I know I should. Doubts.

And so by recognizing all these things I wish would have happened differently in 2010, I am fully committed to changing that so that I don't have these same regrets this time next year.

2011's resolutions;
1. Eat healthier and exercise more - just to become healthier - I don't really need to lose weight or anything.
2. Work hard with grades. I really really need to do that.
3. To make the right choice as a mother - whether that be to keep this baby and raise it or to give it to a family that will give it everything it ever wanted.
4. Reach out to others and be that person that everyone can come to for help.
5. Make time for God every day. I always say I will, but I don't end up actually doing it. I need to take time every day to walk and talk with God.

Hopefully this year will be the best. I know it definitely won't be the easiest, but I think that with some hard work and a little bit of luck, it can still be great.

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog through babycenter. I just wanted to wish you the best in your life's journey and with the tough decisions ahead. You have the prayers of a stranger!

    ReplyDelete